Date: August 20, 2014
Original signed by Barbara Crowley MD, President KRHA & John Burke MD, Board Chair KRHA
- PURPOSE: To ensure complete and timely communication of information. Daily census [admissions & discharges] and emergency department visit information is sent via secure email to designated individuals for other health systems within the "hospital service area" for dissemination to associated practices not with the KRHA ACO network.
Discharge summaries are sent to outpatient providers one to two days after discharge, using standardized formats. Essential information may include diagnosis, test and procedure results, pending tests, medication lists, rationale for medication changes, advance directives, caregiver status, contact information for the discharging physician, and recommended follow-up care as appropriate.
- POLICY: Open communication is an essential responsibility between providers. Communication occurs between care settings and among multidisciplinary teams within each setting.
- RESPONSIBILITY: Information transfer involves physicians, nurses, care managers, office personnel, and information technology staff.
- Original signed KRHA Policies are maintained in the KRHA administrative office and available to members on the ShareFile website.
- POLICY APPLIES TO: All Members and Contracted Staff of KRHA.